Quarterly report pursuant to Section 13 or 15(d)

Multifamily developmental activity

Multifamily developmental activity
3 Months Ended
Mar. 31, 2022
Multifamily Developmental Activity [Abstract]  
Multifamily developmental activity Multifamily developmental activity
In August 2020, the Company entered into the Brentford Joint Venture with the JV Partner for the purpose of developing Brentford at The Mile, a planned 411- unit multifamily apartment complex. Under the Brentford Joint Venture agreement, the Company has a 98.2% controlling interest and is the managing member with the JV Partner holding the remaining 1.8% limited partnership interest. We contributed a parcel of land to the Brentford Joint Venture (the “Brentford Parcel”) at a value of $18.5 million, for which we received equity contribution credit in the Brentford Joint Venture. Our cost basis in the Brentford Parcel was $5.1 million as of March 31, 2022.
Construction of Brentford at The Mile commenced in August 2020 and is anticipated to be completed over a period of 24 to 36 months. As of March 31, 2022, the development cost incurred was $64.4 million, which is reflected in land and building held for development, net on our consolidated balance sheets along with our $5.1 million cost basis in the Brentford Parcel. As of March 31, 2022, we have contractual construction commitments totaling $31.6 million that will be paid to various contractors as the project is completed.