Quarterly report pursuant to Section 13 or 15(d)

Real Estate Facilities

Real Estate Facilities
3 Months Ended
Mar. 31, 2021
Real Estate Facilities [Abstract]  
Real Estate Facilities

3. Real estate facilities

Activity related to our real estate facilities for the three months ended March 31, 2021 was as follows (in thousands):

Buildings and






Balances at December 31, 2020 (1)









Capital expenditures



Disposals (2)



Depreciation and amortization expense



Transfer from property held for development




Transfer to properties held for sale




Balances at March 31, 2021










(1)Land, building and improvements, and accumulated depreciation, respectively, totaling $10.6 million, $60.8 million, and $47.7 million were reclassified as of December 31, 2020 to “properties held for sale, net” representing a 244,000 square foot office business park located in Herndon, Virginia, and a 198,000 square foot office oriented flex business park located in Chantilly, Virginia.

(2)Disposals primarily represent the book value of tenant improvements that have been removed upon the customer vacating their space.

We have a 95.0% interest in a joint venture that owns Highgate at The Mile, a 395-unit multifamily apartment complex on a five-acre parcel within the Company’s 44.5 acre office and multifamily park located in Tysons, Virginia (“The Mile”). The remaining 5.0% interest in the joint venture is held by an unrelated real estate development company (the “JV Partner”). We consolidate the joint venture that owns Highgate at The Mile and as such, the consolidated real estate assets and activities related to this joint venture are included in the table above.

As of March 31, 2021, we have commitments, pursuant to executed leases throughout our portfolio, to spend $9.3 million on transaction costs, which include tenant improvements and lease commissions.

The purchase price of acquired properties is allocated to land, buildings and improvements (including tenant improvements, unamortized lease commissions, and acquired in-place lease intangible), and intangible assets and intangible liabilities (see Note 2), based upon the relative fair value of each component, which are evaluated independently.

The Company must make significant assumptions in determining the fair value of assets acquired and liabilities assumed, which can affect the recognition and timing of revenue and depreciation and amortization expense. The fair value of land is estimated based upon, among other considerations, comparable sales of land within the same region. The fair value of buildings and improvements is determined using a combination of the income and replacement cost approaches which both utilize available market information relevant to the acquired property. The fair value of other acquired assets including tenant improvements and unamortized lease commissions are determined using the replacement cost approach. The amount recorded to acquired in-place lease intangible is also determined utilizing the income approach using market assumptions which are based on management’s assessment of current market conditions and the estimated lease-up periods for the respective spaces. Transaction costs related to asset acquisitions are capitalized.

On January 10, 2020, we acquired a multi-tenant industrial park comprising approximately 73,000 rentable square feet in La Mirada, California, for a total purchase price of $13.5 million, inclusive of capitalized transaction costs. We did not acquire any properties during the three months ended March 31, 2021.

The following table summarizes assets acquired and liabilities assumed for the three months ended March 31, 2020 (in thousands):




Buildings and improvements


Other assets (in-place lease value)


Total purchase price


Net operating assets acquired and liabilities assumed


Total cash paid



During the three months ended March 31, 2021, we completed the development of an 83,000 square foot shallow-bay industrial building at our Freeport Business Park in Irving, Texas for total development costs of $8.1 million. The total developed asset value inclusive of land costs of $9.1 million was placed into service on March 1, 2021 and accordingly was reflected under real estate facilities, at cost on our consolidated balance sheets at March 31, 2021.

Properties Sold

On January 7, 2020, we sold an 113,000 square foot office building located at Metro Park North in Rockville, Maryland, for net sale proceeds of $29.3 million, which resulted in a gain on sale of $19.6 million. The Company determined that the sale did not meet the criteria for discontinued operations presentation, as the sale of such assets did not represent a strategic shift that will have a major effect on our operations and financial results.